Friday 1 April 2011

Feathered Rose

I teach at my local patchwork shop – Somerset Patchwork and Quilting.  I have taught my quilt Feathered Rose there a few times.  I have been lucky enough to quilt several of them from my students, and really enjoy seeing the design done in different fabrics.

I wish I had taken more photos when I was quilting my student’s quilts over the years.  But I have three versions to show you.

First is Margaret M’s quilt.  I finished this one last week, and I love all the feathers (of course), and I like the small meandering in the sashing as it makes the darker fabric pop.  The backing was a perfect choice and shows the quilting beautifully.






Second is Margaret E’s quilt.  I quilted this for her in 2009. I wish I had taken more photos, especially of the back as it was a lovely cream fabric.  I brought the feathers in a little bit in the inner border and setting triangles and did small curls around it.  I ditch stitched the sashing.




Finally this is my quilt which I designed, made and quilted in 2005.  I look at the feathers on it now and think they look so clumsy.  This was the first time I tried the type of feather with the backtracking over the top of the feather.  It is interesting to see how I have developed from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment